Candied Sweet Potatoes
Get ready to accentuate the “sweet” in sweet potatoes. These tasty tubers cook in a blend of ingredients and are served with a candy-like syrup for a daringly delicious dessert.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 50 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup piloncillo or brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole anise stars
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- In 3-quart saucepan, boil water, piloncillo, cinnamon sticks, anise stars and whole cloves, stirring with a wooden spoon until piloncillo dissolves, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-45 minutes.
- Remove sweet potatoes. Reserve syrup, discarding cinnamon sticks, anise stars and cloves.
- Serve sweet potatoes with warm syrup.