Caramel Apple Casserole
Layers of buttery pastry, soft apples and decadent caramel make this dessert a fall favorite!
Serves: 8Prep: 35 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (17.3 oz.) puff pastry, optional
- 3 cups Simple Truth™ Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups Kroger® Unsalted Butter, divided
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 5 medium-large apples, peeled, cored and cut into ¼” thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- NOTE: IF USING STORE BOUGHT PUFF PASTRY, SKIP STEPS 2-4
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 2-quart soufflé dish.
- For the pastry, pulse the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar and ½ teaspoon salt in a food processor to combine. Add 1 cup of the cold butter (cut into pieces) and pulse until the dough resembles coarse meal.
- Combine the egg yolks and water in a cup. With the processor running, pour egg and water mixture through the feed tube and process until the dough comes together. If necessary, additional water may be added a teaspoon at a time.
- Remove the dough from the processor and knead several times. Divide into quarters and shape each piece into a thick round disk.
- For both homemade and store-bought pastry, roll each disk about ⅛” thick between 2 pieces of waxed paper. Trim each piece to fit the soufflé dish, then stack the dough disks on a plate with waxed paper between each layer. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, place the apple slices, 1 cup brown sugar, lemon juice and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt in a large bowl and toss evenly to coat the apples. Set aside.
- For the caramel, melt the remaining ½ cup butter in a small saucepan. Stir in ½ cup brown sugar. Melt together and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, then simmer 2 minutes. Add heavy cream and stir until thickened.
- Pour ⅔ of the caramel into the prepared soufflé dish. Fit one pastry circle in the bottom over the caramel.
- Place 1 of the apple mixture (2 cups) over the pastry and top with a second pastry circle.
- Add another ⅓ of the apples, top with the third pastry circle then the remaining apples and the fourth pastry circle.
- Pour the remaining caramel over the top and spread evenly with an angled frosting spatula.
- Cover the top of the dish with foil and pierce the foil in several places with the tip of a knife.
- Place the dish on the center oven rack and put a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch any drips. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until the top is golden and the apple mixture is bubbly, 30-35 minutes longer.
- Remove the dish from the oven and cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.