Chili Cheese Bread Bowls
This dish is simple to prepare and offers maximum flavor. These homemade bread bowls hold a slow-cooked cheesy chili that's sure to warm you from the inside out.
Created by: Tasty
Serves: 4Prep: 20 minutesCook: 2 hours 40 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 package Kroger® Original Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 can Kroger® Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can Kroger® Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 small sourdough boules
- 12 slices cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil. Sauté diced onion and bell pepper 5 minutes, until softened. Mix in garlic; continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef and chili seasoning, breaking meat up into small pieces; cook until meat is browned.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, stir together cooked meat, diced tomatoes and kidney beans; cook on HIGH 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Slice tops off sourdough boules; remove insides, forming a bowl. Reserve removed bread.
- On baking tray, arrange bowls. Line each bowl with cheddar cheese slices; bake 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bowl is crisp.
- Cut reserved bread into small square croutons. In a skillet over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook croutons with garlic powder, tossing occasionally, until croutons are golden brown.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over croutons; toss until cheese is melted. To serve, ladle chili into bread bowls. Top with croutons and minced parsley.