Pupusas con Curtido (Stuffed Corn Tortillas)
El Salvador’s national dish, pupusas, are the ultimate comfort food. This traditional version is stuffed with pork, beans and cheese, but the warm and doughy pockets can be stuffed with any ingredients you desire.
Serves: 8Prep: 35 minutesCook: 13 minutesTotal: 48 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup thinly shredded carrots
- 1⁄3 cup julienned yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/8 tsp. crumbled oregano
- 1 plus ½ bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon plus ½ tsp. coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ tsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 cups very hot water
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon tsp. serrano pepper, minced and unseeded
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup Finely Shredded Queso Quesadilla Cheese
- 1⁄3 cup Refried Beans - Seasoned Black Beans
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped roast pork
- 1 cup instant corn masa flour
- Non Stick Canola Cooking Spray
- Mix together cabbage, carrots, julliened onion, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 bay leaf, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, 2 tablespoons vinegar and hot water. Set aside.
- In blender, purée together tomatoes, onion, garlic, serrano pepper, thyme, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, ½ bay leaf, ½ teaspoon vinegar, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup water.
- In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine oil and purée; cook 3 minutes.
- In separate bowl, mix cheese, beans and roast pork into a paste.
- Combine flour and 1 cup water to make moist dough. Divide dough into 8 equal parts and form balls. Cut the sides of a gallon-sized plastic bag, leaving the bottom attached. One ball at a time, place dough in between the plastic and carefully flatten to form 1/8”-thick and 3½” diameter tortillas.
- On each tortilla, distribute filling evenly. Using your hands, enclose filling inside a ball of dough. Carefully flatten the balls to ¼”-thick.
- Preheat nonstick griddle at medium heat. Generously spray one side of each stuffed tortilla with oil. On griddle, arrange tortillas oil-side down; cook until medium brown, about 3½ to 4 minutes per side.
- Serve pupusas topped with curtido and spicy sauce.