Quinoa Apple Bowl
Enjoy the flavors of warm apple pie, with a big boost of protein and fiber! Make this tasty bowl for breakfast or any time you need a sweet treat.
Serves: 6Prep: 10 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons Kroger® Unsalted Butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Simple Truth™ Orange Blossom Honey
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios, toasted
- Place quinoa in a fine wire-mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water for 1 minute, then drain. Bring quinoa, water and ¼ teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Keep covered and allow to steam for 10 minutes. Drain any excess cooking liquid.
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apples and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring occasionally until apples begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add honey and cook, stirring constantly just until apples are tender. Remove skillet from heat. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and cinnamon.
- Divide quinoa among 6 bowls. Top each with a dollop of the yogurt mixture and some of the sautéed apples. Garnish with pistachios and serve.