Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
A rich and creamy classic soup filled with fresh broccoli that is ready when you get home.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 4 hoursTotal: 4 hours 15 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (from 4.5 oz. container)
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 5 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (from 32 oz. container)
- 1 cup yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 loaf (8 oz. box) American-style cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 (5 oz.) seasoned croutons
- In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter and sauté onion, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour, whisking until smooth. Continue cooking until the mixture bubbles. While stirring, add milk slowly; simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Pour mixture into 6 quart or larger slow cooker. Stir in broccoli, garlic, thyme and broth. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 3-4 hours or on HIGH heat for 2 hours, or until bubbly.
- Add yellow cheddar cheese and American-style cheese, stirring frequently with open lid, until cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and croutons.