Sopa de Calabacita (Squash Soup)
Hot or cold, Sopa de Calabacitas is a crowd-pleaser. It’s perfect for a quick, light lunch or a satisfying starter for dinner.
Serves: 2Prep: 20 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutes
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups yellow squash, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Kroger Brand Fat Free Chicken Broth or Kroger Vegetable Broth
- 2 tablespoons instant corn masa flour dissolved in a little cold broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plus ¼ cup Mexican table cream
- In medium saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in butter for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn heat to medium-high. Add squash; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in chicken stock. Bring to quick boil, adjust heat to medium-low, cover; simmer 3 minutes.
- In blender, blend cooked ingredients to fine consistency.
- Return purée to saucepan over low heat; mix in dissolved corn masa flour, salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly to dissolve any lumps. Cook 3 minutes.
- Turn heat off. While continuing to whisk, gradually add ½ cup of cream.
- To serve, garnish sop with remaining cream.