Spaghetti and Giant Meatballs
You won’t be able to resist tender and robust meatballs simmered in a flavorful sauce.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound Simple Truth™ Natural Ground Beef 91% Lean
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 Simple Truth Organic™ Bay Leaf
- 1 Simple Truth Organic™ Tomato Paste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 ounces Simple Truth Organic™ Spaghetti
- To make meatballs: In a large bowl, combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, parsley, Parmesan, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 6 large meatballs (if you prefer, make small ones).
- To make sauce: In a large saucepan, heat oil in medium heat, and sauté onion and garlic until onion turns translucent. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil and ½ teaspoon pepper and continue to simmer.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat oil. Once hot, brown meatballs on all sides, turning frequently, about 5 minutes per batch. Return meatballs to baking sheet as you brown them.
- Once all meatballs are browned, add them to large saucepan with tomato sauce. Increase heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, boil spaghetti in salted water until cooked through but still firm to bite. Drain.
- Serve spaghetti with sauce and meatballs. Garnish with extra Parmesan.